Um… this one is pretty easy to do, but it’s also the only one I have left, so… yea. As something to play with, though, you could try taking this idea and sweetening them. I bought mini-muffin trays and did a cinnamon/sugar bit with them that actually came out well (I didn’t write down how I did it though, but it took some tweaking to get them to puff with the smaller size and not burn, but it worked once I got it). I tried whole-wheat versions before (not because I’m a “whole wheat fan”, but some people around me are), and I have not figured out how to get them light enough to actually puff at all—they just come out more like biscuits.
Over all, these are my go-to thing to make when I’m requested to bring something, but I’m also pressed for time. They’re quick to throw together; the bake time is only half-an-hour.
- Popover pan(s) or aluminum muffin pan(s) (I normally use muffin pans because I had trouble finding a popover pan anywhere and by the time I finally found a place that had them, I was already used to using the muffin pan and didn’t care—seems silly to have a pan with only one use anyway).
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1 ½ tablespoons melted butter/margarine
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 extra-large eggs at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups 2% milk (2% is the happy-middle of milk in baking, it’s not too heavy, and it’s not too light) at room temperature
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 425 (it’s also commonly suggested that you allow your pans to preheat also for about 2 minutes, but if you’re doing multiple batches and can’t really do that too easily, then it can be skipped, but it does help).
- Sift the flour and whisk together the salt, eggs, milk, and melted butter until smooth.
- Fill the greased pans less than half full and bake for 30 minutes.
This should make about 12 or so.
- Seeded Popovers (101cookbooks.com)
- Pot Roast and Popovers (acougarinthekitchen.com)
- Muffin Basics (williams-sonoma.com)
- Lighten Up with Baked Donuts (williams-sonoma.com)
- Lemon Yogurt Muffins (organizemeorganizeyou2.wordpress.com)
- Southern Breakfast Surprise: Sweet Potato Muffins (southernfood.answers.com)
- Lemon Curd Filled Poppy Seed Muffins (deliciousonadollar.com)
- Brown Sugar-Cranberry Oat Muffins (williams-sonoma.com)
- Oh So Good! (shakebakeandparty.com)
- (Almost) Gluten Free Very Vanilla Cupcakes (craftykatie3.wordpress.com)